Do you have an 8th Grader?
The 8th Grade Forecasting Parent Meeting is set for Thursday, March 3rd at 6:30pm in the SMMS Library. Hope to see you there!
Two of our former SMMS students have received full ride scholarships to local Oregon Division I Colleges:
Brianna Miyama will be attending and playing soccer at "The University of Portland," and
Diana Santiago will be attending "Oregon State University."
And Madison Ellsworth has been invited to play with the U16 US Women's National Team
We are looking for some parents to help organize our career day on April 7th. There is a lot of preplanning and organizing that needs to take place and the parent who did this the last 2 years is willing to meet and share what we have. If you are interested and available, please e-mail Becky Smith at: email@example.com.
Preparing Students for High School and Beyond
January 2016 Edition
Here is a list of the opportunities we have for activities both before and after school:
1. Drama – currently play practice is underway so students cannot join to act, but if someone is interested in helping in another way, they can contact Mr. Stein for details.
2. Chess Club – Tuesday mornings at 7:30 AM in the library and is led by a former professional chess player, Mike Pittman. Players are needed, so come if you are interested!
3. Homework Club – Tuesday and Wednesday after school in room 110.
4. Battle of the Books – Thursday during advisory in the library. It may be too late to join, but check with Ms. Raglione.
5. Soccer and Volleyball – have been going on for a few weeks and it’s too late to join at this point. Basketball for boys and volleyball for girls will be our winter sports activities and I will send home the registration form when it becomes available.
6. Jazz band – Monday’s after school. See Mr. Massey if you are interested.
A couple of clubs students are asking for are break dancing and the Magic card game. Students are encouraged to begin a club if they have an interest, but they must have an adult advisor. If you are willing and able to supervise one of these clubs, please let Ms. Smith know (firstname.lastname@example.org), so that she can put you in touch with the students and come up with a plan. Also, if you have an idea for an after school activity, let her know and we’ll see if we can get some kids interested in joining. The more things we can offer after school the better it is for our students. Activity busses are available.
Are you aware of the Hillsboro School District app?
It is fairly new and you may not know about it...
The app is a wonderful way to get communication regarding the district and your school.
SMMS has begun pushing notifications out through the app to remind people about events, so you might find it useful.
Did you know, we have a facebook page?
If you haven’t joined, it’s another great way to network with other parents and also get info about events.
This is a closed group, so you will need to ask to join and be approved.
Search: South Meadows Middle School
Questions, please e-mail Ms. Smith: email@example.com
South Meadows Garden Page Please Watch Us Grow!
VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES: Check out the volunteer tab to see what new opportunities there are for volunteering.
If you are interested and available, please contact Denise Raglione at firstname.lastname@example.org or 503-844-1220 ext 5960---