Email Parent Council
What is Parent Council? Parent Council serves as a key communication link between parents and school staff. Parent Council meets monthly to offer a forum for parents to give feedback to Hilhi on issues relating to our students. Parent Council's mission is to support Hilhi in promoting the success of each student.
Hillsboro High School Parent Council Bylaws:
How does Parent Council Help Hilhi? Parent Council sends representatives to serve on school committees, recruits and manages volunteer opportunities, parent/student activities, honors and appreciates Hilhi teachers and staff with special luncheons and occasional holiday treats. Parent Council also helps with fundraising to support student activities, athletics, and instructional programs.
How Can I Join Parent Council? New members may join Parent Council at any time. Meetings are held on a monthly basis and dates are published in the school's newsletter and on the website. Meetings are held at 7:00 p.m. in the library and adjourn no later than 8:00 p.m. Meetings are concise and we strive to maintain a fun working atmosphere!
What Committees Could I Choose to Join? Parent Council Standing Committees include fundraising, parent/staff communication, staff appreciation, and volunteering. Officer positions are elected in the spring.
Monthly meetings of Parent Council are always open to all interested parents. If you have any questions, please call the main office at 503-844-1980. Involved parents are the key to making Hilhi a dynamic and excellent school.
Parent Council Executive Board, 2009 -2010
President - Rob Benton - Email Parent Council
Vice President - Rebecca Halley
Secretary - Joyce Woods
Treasurer - Dana Bennett
Site Council - Clara Steiner and Kathy Engel
Volunteer Coordinator - Kathy Engel
- Article 1: Organization's Name
- Article 2: Purpose/Mission
- To promote parental support of the school's educational mission through active parental involvement in school programs and activities
- To create, develop and maintain activities and traditions which nurture a sense of community within Hilhi and the larger Hillsboro community
- Article 3: Membership
- The Parent Council shall be composed of every parent, guardian, or custodian of a student currently enrolled at Hillsboro High School
- No dues are required for membership in the Hilhi Parent Council
- Membership qualifies individuals to vote on the bylaws, make motions, serve on committees, and participate in all matters as provided for in the Hilhi Parent Council bylaws.
- Article 4: Officers
- Officers & Duties:
1. Preside at all Executive Board and general Parent Council meetings
2. Prepares agendas for meetings in coordination with Parent Council Secretary and Hilhi principal
3. Receives reports from the Secretary, Treasurer, and Committee Chairs
4. Performs such other reasonable and appropriate assignments as may be prescribed in these bylaws or assigned by the Parent Council Executive Board or school administration
1. Assists President with all duties
2. Executes the duties of President in his/her absence
1. Shall be responsible for all Parent Council funds
1. Shall keep the records of the proceedings of the Parent Council
i. Officers will serve for the academic year.
ii. Any member may succeed him/herself in any office, or any other position, if re-elected by Parent Council member
i. Officers will be elected by Parent Council members by simple majority vote
i. Vacancies in any office may be filled at any regular or special meeting
- Article 5: Executive Committee
- The Executive Committee shall include the President, Vice President, Treasurer, Secretary and Committee Chairs
- The Executive Committee shall have general supervision of the affairs of the Parent Council between its business meetings, make recommendations to the Council, arrange for the disbursement of funds as it deems necessary, and perform such other duties as are specified in these bylaws
- Article 6: Other Committees
- The Executive Committee shall determine such Committees as are necessary to carry out the mission and further the purposes of the Parent Council
- Committee chairpersons shall be appointed by a two-thirds majority of the Executive Council
- Committee chairpersons shall be responsible for attending all Parent Council meetings and reporting Committee activities
- The Parent Council will maintain the following standing committees: School Governance, Fundraising/Boosters, Volunteers, Parent Education, Staff Appreciation
- Article 7: Policies & Procedures
- The Parent Council Executive Board shall be the policy/procedure-making body of the organization
- In the planning of all projects, activities, and service, the Parent Council shall request and follow direction from the school and district administration, acting in compliance with all applicable statutes and administrative regulations.
- Article 8: Meetings
- The Parent Council shall meet monthly, or as reasonably necessary, during the academic year The Secretary will maintain minutes of all Council meetings
- Minutes of all meetings will be posted on the school website
- Article 9: Financial Matters
- No funds shall be appropriated by the Parent Council except for funds that further the mission of the Parent Council as stated in Article 1 of these bylaws
- Appropriation of funds in excess of $1000.00 shall be approved by a two-thirds majority of the members of the Council who are present and voting
- Appropriation of funds equal to or less than $1000.00 may be approved by a two-thirds majority of the Executive Council
- Article 10: Amendments & Parliamentary Authority
- These bylaws may be amended by approval of the school principal after a two-thirds majority of Parent Council members. Recommended Bylaw amendments must be presented in writing to the Council at least ten (10) days prior to the date of the scheduled meeting where the amendment is being considered.
- Robert's Rules of Order shall be the authority for all rules of procedure not specifically covered by these bylaws.