Greetings Tobias Families!
Important Dates and Reminders
- Bus routes - New this year, the District Transportation Department is offering an online application for parents to access routing and scheduling information, determine walk zones, and more. Please refer to the myBus insert in this packet for instructions on how to access the system. You will not be receiving bus route or walker status notification by mail this year. If you have questions, please contact the Transportation Department at 503-844-1123.
- School starts at 8:00 AM and ends at 2:20 PM. On Wednesdays school begins at 8:00 AM and ends at 1:50 PM. Student supervision begins at 7:30 am and ends at 2:30 pm. In order to ensure student safety, please make sure your student is dropped off after 7:30 am and before 2:30 pm. On Wednesdays, student supervision ends at 2:00.
- *No Spirit Awards Assembly this month*
- October 2nd, Friday - Tobias Tiger Trek
- October 8th & 9th, Thursday & Friday - No School/Staff Development
- October 15th, Thursday - PTO meeting @ 2:30 pm
- October 16th, Friday - Tiger Trek pledges due
- October 30th, Friday - Tiger Trek Awards & Spirit Assembly
Tiger Trek Is Coming
Tiger Trek is this Friday October 2nd. Remember this is our biggest fundraiser of the year and benefits all students inside and outside the classroom. This is how we support Field Trip buses, Literacy Programs, Art Programs, Assemblies, Family Fun Nights and Extra Classroom Support. This is a great outdoor event promoting exercise and fun for students including crazy hair day and awesome prizes! We ask that all students come prepared to run and participate (Athletic shoes, Athletic/warm clothing, (depending on weather) as well as their water bottles.) Go get those pledges! We need lots of Volunteers to help with this family friendly event! Sign-up at http://www.signupgenius.com/go/9040d45aaac29a57-2015
Welcome to Tobias’ first school wide book club!
Our generous PTO has provided us with enough books for each family to have one! The idea is that we will be reading the same book at the same time, so that there will be a lot of excitement and discussion at school each day surrounding the book. During the month of October, each family will read one chapter of The Lemonade War by Jacqueline Davies every night Monday through Friday. Your student(s) will be doing activities related to this book during his or her library time during October. During the first week of October, your oldest student will be bringing home a copy of the book and a calendar for your family that tells you which chapter to read each day.
This is supposed to be a fun activity. If you find that this is causing stress to your family, please do not feel like you HAVE to participate. If you do choose to participate, you can either have your students read out loud to you, or you can read to them. This book might not hold the attention of Kindergarten or first graders, and if that is the case just keep the book and try to read it to them in a couple of years! Questions? Email Andrea Schlechter at email@example.com
Easier than Boxtops!
Save your shopping receipts!!!! Snap a picture of them and our school gets cash from Shoparoo! Shoparoo is the most hassle-free school fundraiser around. Shoparoo is a free app for iOS and Android phones that allows anyone and everyone to take pictures of their shopping receipts to earn cash donations for the school of their choice! (Tobias). There is no registration required, and no set up process - anyone can raise money for any school. Just take a few moments to snap a picture of your grocery receipt on your smartphone, and voila - you've made an instant cash donation! You can also take pictures of your non-grocery receipts (like clothing stores, electronics stores, restaurants, home improvement stores, and more) for entries into Shoparoo's $1,000 and $15,000 sweepstakes. Tobias has already received a check from last year, head over to their website and sign-up for Tobias Elementary School today! http://www.shoparoo.com/
Background checks are required to volunteer (including classroom help, PTO and field trips) and expire every two years. Prior to volunteering, we ask that you complete the volunteer application process at https://volunteer.hsd.k12.or.us/volunteerapp/Pages/application.aspx
Reminder for parents
When dropping off students, please use the vehicle drop off loop. Students should not be dropped off in front of the school, in between traffic, or where the buses pull in. The school does have signs indicating where/not to drop off. Let's all be courteous, respectful, safe and set a good example.